Nigeria Energy Forum (NEF) Africa Energy Innovation Challenge – The 8th Africa Energy Innovation Challenge organized by NEF challenges early-stage energy entrepreneurs across Africa to collaborate with local research institutions or industries to develop a prototype model of a key device/ equipment for a social energy enterprise, agri-business, fintech solutions or energy management system using local resources.
Proposals are invited across four innovation tracks for early-stage energy entrepreneurs from Africa, including:
Track 1: Clean Energy Solutions for Agro-industry
Track 2: Energizing Healthcare & Education
Track 3: Smart Metering & Artificial Intelligence
Track 4: Cleaner Electrification of Transport/ Oil&Gas
About Nigeria Energy Forum (NEF)
Across Africa, the key energy challenge is how to electrify millions of households, communities, and businesses as quickly as possible. The 8th Nigeria Energy Forum 2023 (NEF2023) will focus on safer, cleaner, and sustainable energy services for all, through a capacity building, training, and development program for policymakers, business leaders, energy innovators, professional engineers, industry experts, and academics in Nigeria and other African countries.
The 8th NEF2023 will be a hybrid event to be held on Tuesday 18th July at Zone Conference Centre, Gbagada, Lagos and Thursday 23rd November on Zoom with the theme ‘Maximizing Energy Transition for Economic Growth.
Benefits of NEF Africa Energy Innovation Challenge
The finalists and winners will be selected by an independent panel of industry experts and experienced development professionals from public and private sector institutions. It is anticipated that at least 1 winner per track will be awarded grant prizes with up to 20 shortlisted entries offered complimentary passes to fully participate in the 2023. Winners of the competition get the opportunity to:
- Receive cash prize grants of up to USD10,000 to demonstrate or scale the proposed solution;
- Pitch their proposed prototype model at the 2023 Nigeria Energy Forum, using a poster and short video;
- Benefit from unique networking opportunities with other young professionals as well as some of the most senior decision-makers in government, international development, academia and the private sector; &
- Attend business development workshops, receive support from a dedicated start-up incubator.
Young professionals between the ages of 18 and 35 years from Africa are invited to participate in the competition across any of the four (4) innovation tracks above.
Interview Date, Process and Venue
The first round of submissions will be evaluated using the following attributes:
- Local Content: utilize local resources, demonstrate use of local expertise, alternative energy services or efficient solutions for powering agriculture, education, healthcare, industries etc.; and be significant enough to impact large numbers of people, households and/or businesses.
- Originality and creativity: present solutions that are original, creative in areas that are either underdeveloped or severely underdeveloped in research and literature.
- Commercial Viability: proposed prototype model should be realistic, practical rather than just theory, cost efficient and outline commercial arrangements that address obvious roadblocks, using a specific prototype model.
- Clarity: ideas should be presented in a clear and concise manner with realistic completion timeline.
- Open call for proposal: May 15, 2023
- Early Proposal submission deadline: June 15, 2023
- In-person Event & Past Winners Tag-up: July 18, 2023
- Proposal submission deadline: August 31, 2023
- Shortlist for the final round: September 15, 2023
- Deadline for final submissions: October 15, 2023
- Video pitch, posters & awards: Nov. 23, 2023.
Organizers reserve the right to fully adjust/modify any of the details provided in this document above the contest.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Nigeria Energy Forum (NEF) on www.thenef.org to apply
Applications may be submitted by a team of at least three people. Teams may be formed across different schools, institutions, companies, countries etc. Individuals or teams may submit multiple applications. Women-led teams are strongly encouraged to apply.
For more details visit: NEF website on https://www.thenef.org/aeic/