Stormzy Scholarship For Black UK Students University of Cambridge – 36 new Stormzy Scholarships to be awarded to Black students over next 3 years, bringing total number to 81 over eight years (2018-26) ‘The Stormzy Effect’ continues: Applications from UK Black students on the rise, with 141 Black students admitted in 2022 (131% increase compared to 2018)
Since its launch in 2018, the Stormzy Scholarship has.provided financial support to 32 UK Black students helping to transform their University experience. This began with two students each year, before the scheme was expanded in 2021. Stormzy’s #Merky Foundation in partnership with HSBC UK will provide scholarships to at least 10 Black students starting their studies in autumn 2023.
Over 400 UK Black students have arrived to take up their courses at Cambridge in the past three years. There is however still more work to be done to ensure that UK Black students not only apply to study at the University, but feel at home here and achieve their full potential.
About University of Cambridge
The University of Cambridge is rich in history its famous Colleges and University buildings attract visitors from all over the world. But the University’s museums and collections also hold many treasures which give an exciting insight into some of the scholarly activities, both past and present, of the University’s academics and students. The University is one of the world’s oldest universities and leading academic centres, and a self-
governed community of scholars.
Benefits of Stormzy Scholarship
The scholarships are non-repayable and will cover the full cost of tuition fees and provide a maintenance grant, which will significantly reduce the need for recipients to take out government or commercial loans. This support will be available to recipients for the three or four years of their undergraduate course. For 2023-24, the total award to each student for the year will be worth £20,000. Receipt of this award will not affect eligibility for a Cambridge Bursary
To be eligible for a Stormzy Scholarship, applicants must:
1. Have one of the following categories of ethnicity:
- Black African
- Black Caribbean
- Black Other
- Mixed – White and Black Caribbean
- Mixed – White and Black African
- Other mixed background (to include Black African, Black Caribbean or Black Other)
2. Have a confirmed place for entry to the University of Cambridge for a first undergraduate degree, and due to commence study in October 2023. (You can check the status of your offer on UCAS Hub.)
3. Be a UK student and have been assessed for fee status as ‘home’. You were advised of your fee status in the offer letter issued to you earlier this year. If you are in doubt, please contact the Cambridge College that has offered you a place.
4. Have applied to Student Finance (England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland) for a tuition fee loan and maintenance loan, and have received confirmation that you have been assessed and will receive financial support. An income assessment must have been conducted and consent given to share the information with the University. Please note that if you are awarded a Stormzy Scholarship you will be able to reduce the amount of loan you take out to zero, but you will still need an income assessment from Student Finance to be able to receive the Cambridge Bursary.
How To Apply
To apply for the Stormzy Scholarship, you need to complete the online application by 3 September 2023 (11.59pm). The application form for 2023 will be available here from 17 August.
If you have questions regarding the Stormzy Scholarship, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more details, visit University of Cambridge website on